I like how the character Wesley mentions everyone he knows in his poem. Everyone he mentions has their own story to tell and their own poems. My favorite poem is "Bruised Love" by the character Chankara Troupe. This poem is really good. It shows the pain she has only its like she is talking about someone else but its about her.
For example Chankara's 1st poem was about Bruised Love,its about her sister and how she was abused in her relationship and how she still is being abused, and Chankara was abused by one duded and she said that it would never happened again. Her sister kept saying the same thing, but it still happened.
Consider why the characters act the way they do. What makes them act this way? Is it the environment they live in? Is it their personality? Is it their family life and situation?
Tyrone Bittings is a person who doesn't care about school. he says that no black man has a chance in the country. Tyrone is a person who thinks that there is no chance for anyone to do anything with there life. Tyrone does like writing raps and poems.
Is Tyrone right, when he says that "no black man has a chance in the country"? Provide a reason why this statement is true, false or somewhere in between.
Well during the passage I agree with him because it was hard for a black man to get a job, or do anything. Tyrone thinks like this because he doesnt have a guidance to lead him on. All he thinks is that the white folk! got control over everything. Its sad to hear him say that but it is true in his community.
I like this book because it focuses on life itself. Girls who feel like they need a baby to feel loved. Boys who'll do what ever it take to survive in the world. Thats why I like this book because there are books like this but this gets deeper than deep
Tyrone speaks the truth when it comes to things. When he talks he pin-points out everything. When he gets on that mike he dont speak nothing about the truth. He talks about how the little white girl gets deep even though, she doesnt look like the type he said and, just the girls period about how they dont like the way they look.
I like the book so far,I like the poems they are very intersting. I think it's crazy how Tyrone don't like school or want nothing to do with it. but he still goes anyway. I think it's good for him too keep writing poems when Open Mike Fridays comes up too express how you feel in certain ways or just to expalin certain things..... I like how Tyrone has a mind of his own he don't hesitate by saying things, he says how he feels and don't worry about no one and if they don't like it. He has a open mind especially when he's writing his poems and on the mike.
I love the poems. My favorite poem is the Zorro poem. I like the book so far its interesting that everyones story is something that most teenagers can relate too.
Chankara Troupe is a girl who doesn't take a guy abusing her and when she got smacked she seen herself as her sister because of her sister's boyfriend abuses Chankara's sister. Chankara made a deep poem about women being abused and how its wrong and it spoke to some people.
i think it's sad how Amy Moscowitz was sick two years ago in the hospital when she had appendicitis and her father didn't even hug her he justed asked her was she ok every few minutes. just because he want them to be tough(er). toughen up on certain things and situations. he still could of supported her while she was sick and in pain and hurting. he could of at least hugged her, and stuff......
Raul Remirez is a person who doesn't care about money much. "but some things ain't about money" Raul said to Tyrone. Raul likes to draw and paint art and doesn't care about about money.
I like the student Gloria because she stayed in school after having a baby. It most be really hard for her to maintain her grades and keep up with Angel her son.She is a really strong person for someone who is still in high school
I feel as though Tyrone's statements mean something at times but others times it doesnt. Becasue once the other teens are done reading there poems and there littile life story. Tyrone comments bascically or opinions on what they read which hekps me get a a better understanding of everybody elses poems.
In My Opinion, This book Is Indescribably Great. The Kids in This Book Goes Through Things People Can’t Even Dream Of. I Mean People Talk of How They Go through All Types of This That You Can’t Imagine, But These Teenagers in the Book Are Doing The Most Unimaginable Thing, Which Is Going up In front Of Their Teacher, And Their Peers and Telling Them Their Life Stories in the Form of a Poem. It Is Amazing How They Are Getting To Become So Brave. The Boys Are Telling Their Teachers and Classmates Things They Couldn’t Even Tell Their Homies, And The Girls Are Telling Their True Feelings That They Could Reveal To Their Best Friend.
The poem I like best is "Doubtless" By:Steve Ericson because it's so real to me. Basically He's saying that,he had a dream then somebody came alonged and ruined, put him down but he didn't let that get to him. I think he's saying be yourself and if you have a dream or want to succeed in something so be it. Don't let no one bring you down or try to what you can't do.
This is my opinion. This book relates so much to our school its like we should have been in the book. Foreal foreal all thats happened in the book has happened at our school from girl drama in the bathroom or in class its all started here. And its funny how I reading about whats happening. When they read there poems I know what therer talking about espically Devon Hope. He stood up to the jock and told him this is what he does on his spair time with no shame like thats wasup.
Wonder why Shelia wants to fit in with others, she want to be like somebody. Wesley was right when he told her to just be yourself when she asked what was she suppose to do. Everybody's different in their own ways.
I think it's kinda weird that Jojo asked Janelle to marry him. When he's only 18years old. Well age don't matter, but i don't think he's ready, no matter how he feel about her. If he find another girl he really likes he'll probaly think or say the same thing. He shouldn't get caught up into 1 girl and think they should be married just like that.
I FINISHED THE BOOK! I'M SO MAD BECAUSE I REALLY LIKED IT AND I DIDN'T WANT IT TO END! But overall it was a good book, it was very deep, and intresting. The last poem in the book By:Porscha Johnson was sad a lil bit, because she didn't know why she left or like she thought she left her on purpose almost as if that was her choice. After she left she has so many questions. But now she realizes what happen and know that she's older now and understands things more clearly she finally forgives her.
I liked El Noche by Lupe Algarin. I liked this poem because it sounds a little but like my life. This resembles my life because when I am playing outside in the cold it is like the part of the poem when she talks about being lonely in the silent cold. This reminds me of the moment that the ball is snapped. I don't hear anything, it is like I am alone and silent and all I know is get that ball and dont fail at it..
I think Mr. Ward is my favorite character. I like him because he tried to help the ghetto kids learn to read. This whole book is about ghetto kids, and the struggles they go through. These kids need to express themselves to make them feel better, and because of this, it is important to know how to read. I really think Mr. Ward saved a lot of the characters because of how much he cared. Like Mr. Sallinger.
I think Bronx Masquerade is a great book. I think this because its about black kids and I can relate. I can relate to this book because there are many struggles that the characters go through that I have also gone through in my life. I feel that Tyrone should follow his dream and become a rapper, and overcome the struggle that is his life living in the ghetto.
I would like to talk about when Mr. Ward gives the students the poetry assignment. I can relate to this because this was like when I was in class and Mr. Sallinger started talking about poetry. I liked this topic because I was writing a rap, and it occurred to me that rap is poetry. There are rappers that I admire, like Tupac, who went to school for poetry. This helped him write some of the best raps I have ever heard. Like Tyrone and Mr. Ward, I was given the chance to practice poetry writing. This is how I express myself, and this is how Tyrone expresses himself in the book.
I would like to talk about the poem "Bronx Masquerade" by Devon Hope. I think that Devon was saying that everyone thinks that because he is tall that he has a good jump shot. They think he is going to be a basketball player. He might look like a tough guy on the outside, but inside he is probably a sweet and cuddly guy like me. I feel that this is like me, because everyone thinks that I am a basketball player, but there is more to me than playing sports. I actually don't even play basketball- I play football. I don't like telling people about the other things that I like to do- like rapping or drawing- but like Devon, there is more to me than meets the eye. I think that it is important to understand that Devon, whose last name is "Hope" doesn't want to end up locked inside a box, hiding who he really is. I think that he is putting out hope that you can be anyone that you want to be. In "Black Box," Devon talks about the lies, and the categories that people put others in. Everyone has a "box," but inside are only flakes.
I would like to talk about the poem "Common Ground" by Leslie Lucas. I think that this poem is talking about the hard times in life. Sometimes you need a friend to talk to. When you fall, you need someone to pick you up, but not to go down with you. The poet talks about almost drowning in a pool of tears, and having someone who is a friend who leaps into the pool of depression and saves her. The buoy is called "friendship," and the two friend are able to swim toward it and meet somewhere in the middle. A true friend is always willing to be there, to help, and to meet their friend half way. If a friend does not want to meet you halfway, then they are not a true friend.
Im finished with the book. Overall it was a good book im upset im done with it but yeah. I can relate so much of what some of the characters were going through like, they got real deep and you can see the pain and thrivness throughout the book from each character. Some were despreate some were miserbale some were okay and other were not. I just hope we get to read another book like this before the year is up.
This book is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI love the poems ! ! ! !
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI like how the character Wesley mentions everyone he knows in his poem. Everyone he mentions has their own story to tell and their own poems. My favorite poem is "Bruised Love" by the character Chankara Troupe. This poem is really good. It shows the pain she has only its like she is talking about someone else but its about her.
ReplyDeleteThis book is very good and it's deep..
ReplyDelete@ Marinda. I agree with you the poems are good. They all kinda tell some story about the person who wrote them.
ReplyDeleteFor example Chankara's 1st poem was about Bruised Love,its about her sister and how she was abused in her relationship and how she still is being abused, and Chankara was abused by one duded and she said that it would never happened again. Her sister kept saying the same thing, but it still happened.
ReplyDeleteConsider why the characters act the way they do. What makes them act this way? Is it the environment they live in? Is it their personality? Is it their family life and situation?
ReplyDeleteTyrone Bittings is a person who doesn't care about school. he says that no black man has a chance in the country. Tyrone is a person who thinks that there is no chance for anyone to do anything with there life. Tyrone does like writing raps and poems.
ReplyDeleteIs Tyrone right, when he says that "no black man has a chance in the country"? Provide a reason why this statement is true, false or somewhere in between.
ReplyDeleteWell during the passage I agree with him because it was hard for a black man to get a job, or do anything. Tyrone thinks like this because he doesnt have a guidance to lead him on. All he thinks is that the white folk! got control over everything. Its sad to hear him say that but it is true in his community.
ReplyDeleteI like this book because it focuses on life itself. Girls who feel like they need a baby to feel loved. Boys who'll do what ever it take to survive in the world. Thats why I like this book because there are books like this but this gets deeper than deep
ReplyDeleteTyrone speaks the truth when it comes to things. When he talks he pin-points out everything. When he gets on that mike he dont speak nothing about the truth. He talks about how the little white girl gets deep even though, she doesnt look like the type he said and, just the girls period about how they dont like the way they look.
ReplyDeleteI like the book so far,I like the poems they are very intersting. I think it's crazy how Tyrone don't like school or want nothing to do with it. but he still goes anyway.
ReplyDeleteI think it's good for him too keep writing poems when Open Mike Fridays comes up too express how you feel in certain ways or just to expalin certain things..... I like how Tyrone has a mind of his own he don't hesitate by saying things, he says how he feels and don't worry about no one and if they don't like it. He has a open mind especially when he's writing his poems and on the mike.
i agree...
ReplyDeleteI love the poems. My favorite poem is the Zorro poem. I like the book so far its interesting that everyones story is something that most teenagers can relate too.
ReplyDeleteChankara Troupe is a girl who doesn't take a guy abusing her and when she got smacked she seen herself as her sister because of her sister's boyfriend abuses Chankara's sister. Chankara made a deep poem about women being abused and how its wrong and it spoke to some people.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletei think it's sad how Amy Moscowitz was sick two years ago in the hospital when she had appendicitis and her father didn't even hug her he justed asked her was she ok every few minutes. just because he want them to be tough(er). toughen up on certain things and situations. he still could of supported her while she was sick and in pain and hurting. he could of at least hugged her, and stuff......
ReplyDeleteRaul Remirez is a person who doesn't care about money much. "but some things ain't about money" Raul said to Tyrone. Raul likes to draw and paint art and doesn't care about about money.
ReplyDeletePick a character whose actions confuse you, a character you just don't get. Try to understand the rationale (the reasons why) for their actions.
ReplyDeleteWhat does Tyrone's statements add to the book? Are the comments necessary? Why would Grimes have Tyrone interject his comments?
ReplyDeleteThis is Darnelle and the best port about this story is the poems.
ReplyDeleteI like the student Gloria because she stayed in school after having a baby. It most be really hard for her to maintain her grades and keep up with Angel her son.She is a really strong person for someone who is still in high school
ReplyDeleteSo far I really love the book. I like how everyone has their own story and is able to put their emotions in their poems like a real poet.
ReplyDeleteI feel as though Tyrone's statements mean something at times but others times it doesnt. Becasue once the other teens are done reading there poems and there littile life story. Tyrone comments bascically or opinions on what they read which hekps me get a a better understanding of everybody elses poems.
ReplyDeleteIn My Opinion, This book Is Indescribably Great. The Kids in This Book Goes Through Things People Can’t Even Dream Of. I Mean People Talk of How They Go through All Types of This That You Can’t Imagine, But These Teenagers in the Book Are Doing The Most Unimaginable Thing, Which Is Going up In front Of Their Teacher, And Their Peers and Telling Them Their Life Stories in the Form of a Poem. It Is Amazing How They Are Getting To Become So Brave. The Boys Are Telling Their Teachers and Classmates Things They Couldn’t Even Tell Their Homies, And The Girls Are Telling Their True Feelings That They Could Reveal To Their Best Friend.
ReplyDeleteThe poem I like best is "Doubtless" By:Steve Ericson because it's so real to me. Basically He's saying that,he had a dream then somebody came alonged and ruined, put him down but he didn't let that get to him. I think he's saying be yourself and if you have a dream or want to succeed in something so be it. Don't let no one bring you down or try to what you can't do.
ReplyDeleteLupe is desperate for a baby because she wants her relationship to be fixed with her boyfriend
ReplyDeleteThis is my opinion. This book relates so much to our school its like we should have been in the book. Foreal foreal all thats happened in the book has happened at our school from girl drama in the bathroom or in class its all started here. And its funny how I reading about whats happening. When they read there poems I know what therer talking about espically Devon Hope. He stood up to the jock and told him this is what he does on his spair time with no shame like thats wasup.
ReplyDeleteWonder why Shelia wants to fit in with others, she want to be like somebody. Wesley was right when he told her to just be yourself when she asked what was she suppose to do. Everybody's different in their own ways.
ReplyDeleteI think it's kinda weird that Jojo asked Janelle to marry him. When he's only 18years old. Well age don't matter, but i don't think he's ready, no matter how he feel about her. If he find another girl he really likes he'll probaly think or say the same thing. He shouldn't get caught up into 1 girl and think they should be married just like that.
ReplyDelete...Only Five Pages To Go The Book Is Getting Deep...
ReplyDeleteI FINISHED THE BOOK!
ReplyDeleteI'M SO MAD BECAUSE I REALLY LIKED IT AND I DIDN'T WANT IT TO END!
But overall it was a good book, it was very deep, and intresting.
The last poem in the book By:Porscha Johnson was sad a lil bit, because she didn't know why she left or like she thought she left her on purpose almost as if that was her choice. After she left she has so many questions. But now she realizes what happen and know that she's older now and understands things more clearly she finally forgives her.
the best poem that i liked was EI NOche by Lupe ALGARIN
ReplyDeletethis story was interesting.
ReplyDeleteI think Mr.Ward is my hero because he helped the ghetto kids read books
ReplyDeleteThis Book, In My Opinion, Bronx Masquerade is one of the best books
ReplyDeleteI liked El Noche by Lupe Algarin. I liked this poem because it sounds a little but like my life. This resembles my life because when I am playing outside in the cold it is like the part of the poem when she talks about being lonely in the silent cold. This reminds me of the moment that the ball is snapped. I don't hear anything, it is like I am alone and silent and all I know is get that ball and dont fail at it..
ReplyDeleteI think Mr. Ward is my favorite character. I like him because he tried to help the ghetto kids learn to read. This whole book is about ghetto kids, and the struggles they go through. These kids need to express themselves to make them feel better, and because of this, it is important to know how to read. I really think Mr. Ward saved a lot of the characters because of how much he cared. Like Mr. Sallinger.
ReplyDeleteI think Bronx Masquerade is a great book. I think this because its about black kids and I can relate. I can relate to this book because there are many struggles that the characters go through that I have also gone through in my life. I feel that Tyrone should follow his dream and become a rapper, and overcome the struggle that is his life living in the ghetto.
ReplyDeleteI would like to talk about when Mr. Ward gives the students the poetry assignment. I can relate to this because this was like when I was in class and Mr. Sallinger started talking about poetry. I liked this topic because I was writing a rap, and it occurred to me that rap is poetry. There are rappers that I admire, like Tupac, who went to school for poetry. This helped him write some of the best raps I have ever heard. Like Tyrone and Mr. Ward, I was given the chance to practice poetry writing. This is how I express myself, and this is how Tyrone expresses himself in the book.
ReplyDeleteI would like to talk about the poem "Bronx Masquerade" by Devon Hope. I think that Devon was saying that everyone thinks that because he is tall that he has a good jump shot. They think he is going to be a basketball player. He might look like a tough guy on the outside, but inside he is probably a sweet and cuddly guy like me. I feel that this is like me, because everyone thinks that I am a basketball player, but there is more to me than playing sports. I actually don't even play basketball- I play football. I don't like telling people about the other things that I like to do- like rapping or drawing- but like Devon, there is more to me than meets the eye. I think that it is important to understand that Devon, whose last name is "Hope" doesn't want to end up locked inside a box, hiding who he really is. I think that he is putting out hope that you can be anyone that you want to be. In "Black Box," Devon talks about the lies, and the categories that people put others in. Everyone has a "box," but inside are only flakes.
ReplyDeleteI would like to talk about the poem "Common Ground" by Leslie Lucas. I think that this poem is talking about the hard times in life. Sometimes you need a friend to talk to. When you fall, you need someone to pick you up, but not to go down with you. The poet talks about almost drowning in a pool of tears, and having someone who is a friend who leaps into the pool of depression and saves her. The buoy is called "friendship," and the two friend are able to swim toward it and meet somewhere in the middle. A true friend is always willing to be there, to help, and to meet their friend half way. If a friend does not want to meet you halfway, then they are not a true friend.
ReplyDeleteIm finished with the book. Overall it was a good book im upset im done with it but yeah. I can relate so much of what some of the characters were going through like, they got real deep and you can see the pain and thrivness throughout the book from each character. Some were despreate some were miserbale some were okay and other were not. I just hope we get to read another book like this before the year is up.
ReplyDelete