Monday, March 21, 2011

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee





















Choose a major character--Scout, Jem or Atticus--and give your initial impression of that character.

32 comments:

  1. FIRST!!! :-) YAYYYYYYY!!!! WEEEEEEEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite character so far is Jem. My first impression of him was that he was a normal boy. By this I mean that he would get into stuff and play like a boy. As the story goes on you can really see his big brother role towards scout. He is usually the leader of their games. But he also shuns away Scout sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently started to read this book. So far, I am not to found of it. I am sure the book will grow on me. But, I forund out that Jem's father is a lawyer. That's all I get so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite character is probably Jem. He is a happy and energetic character. He certainly seems to be a leader type person. He is protective of his friends and family but does not always want to spend time with them. I personally think that is his right. All in all he is a happy, creative, energetic 10 year old and that says that he is basically a normal kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just feel like typing at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started to read this book. I want to find out how Jem got his arm badly broken to his elbow. I think that his left arm shorter than his right arm. I imaged how it would like with his palms at a 90 degree angle. He broke his arm when he was thirteen. This book isn't what I excepted it to be. But everybody I talked to said they like this book. I hope this book is good like everybody said it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the game they Jem made up is rather sick. It is odd that they would make a game of something that scares the crap out of them. What they are going on is rumors and a old lady. Radley probably feels disrespected, I would. I understand that kids are kids but they should be taught to respect what they do not understand. It is almost like the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also like the character of Atticus. He is like a quietly brilliant person. He doesn't really put his talents out there. You will only get to see them if something forces him to use them. I actually didn't know Atticus was around 50 years old until the middle of the book. I thought he was at least 35.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have read to page 124 and the best part for this post would be the fire. i am really confused on how it happened. i know its cold and they were keeping fireplaces well used but how can you not notice it growing. i noticed that she hinted that she wanted to get rid of the house. did she burn it her self. then there is the random apperence of the blanket around scouts shoulders. why are they so worried that Boo Radley put it there. he clearly did not intend to harm them. it is all a scenario that was built to make suspense leading the rising action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. by the way what are we doing after we finish our books?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think we should watch happy gilmore after we all get finished. it would be a nice break. i have spoken!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think we should read the zombie survival guide next

    ReplyDelete
  13. is it sad that i have made over two thirds of the posts

    ReplyDelete
  14. im starting to like i am talking to myself...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Analyze the actions of the characters
    Consider Atticus--what things do you like about him? How does he prove himself?
    Go back and read the pages surrounding the closing argument in the case--why does Atticus act the way he does and why does he say the things he says?
    Consider Jem--How has he changed? Did he grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The closing argument is in chapter 20.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really didn’t like Mrs. Dubose. She is an old woman who has to sit in a wheel chair. Jem and Scout have to pass her house to get to town. Every time they pass her house she would say things about them and their father that you shouldn’t say to children. Atticus tells them to still have manners towards her. He also says that she is only saying that stuff because she is old. It still doesn’t give her the right to say those things no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Does society make it acceptable for Mrs. Dubose to say those nasty things?
    What is Atticus teaching his children?
    Even today older people are "given a pass" and allowed to say what they think. Why does society or why do people let old people make those negative comments?

    ReplyDelete
  19. About the Atticus comment. I think Tarae' is right about Atticus being an intelligent person. But I had a feeling that he was older before chapter ten when Jem said he was 50.I could have came to this conclusion because of the way he behaved. He also seems to have principles that he sticks to faithfully.For an example, the trial of Tom Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The trial was very suspenseful. I think there is something wrong with Mayella Ewell. Maybe she's not right in the head or something. It wasn't right to accuse Tom Robinson of rape knowing that he would probably be put to death. He has a family to take care of. Tom Robinson helped her out because he just wanted to be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mane Scout was a tough little girl. She pushed kids heads into the dirt. Was known in her school to be fighter. But during this time period females didn't behave like this. I believe that Happer Lee was taking a stand against gender steriotyping when she wrote the character of Jean Louis. She did a good job because I didn't know Scout was a girl until Ms. Maudie called her Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are ugly spots in our nations history when people of a jury would send a man to jail out of pure hatred. I know the trial of Tom Robinson wasn't real. But then again it was. How many men and women were jailed, put to death,......and stolen form there families. because, foolish people blinded by generations of hate lose or don't value the life of another human being. The sad thing is that it still happens today. Maybe you should stop, think and figure out what kind of person are you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Idk if anyone else knows this but Happer Lee named the book Atticus before To Kill a Mockingbird. Atticus clearly ment more than just a story book lawer. He was the white knight to the African Americans in the book. He believed that they should be treated equal, especially in court. His character was very wise. That's why Atticus is probably my favorite character in To Kill a Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was sad when Tom Robinson tried to run away. I couldn't figure out why he ran though. Atticus thought they could get an appeal. Maybe he didn't believe him and wanted to die on his own terms. It also wasn't right when Bob Ewell came after the kids. No matter what problem you have against someone you never take it out on their children. Especially with the intention to kill.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This book really spoke to me. Despite it being an advanced book I think I managed to understand everything to a very good degree. It takes place in the small fictional town of Maycomb around the 1930’s.The first thing I would like to bring attention to is the characters and who I see the main character as. While the book is told by Scout Finches point of view I would think that the main character is Atticus. Most of the stories dialogue in the first 200 pages is based around Atticus and his decision to defend Tom. He is seen by Scout and Jem as a strong while boring sign of strength. He shows that he has the moral to stand up to racism and take charge even though he has lost before he begins. He feels defending Tom is the right thing to do. This is why I feel that he is the main character of the story despite it being told from Scout’s point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is one major thing I would like to address is the relationship between the characters and the title. As far as I can see there are only two “mockingbirds” in the story, or characters who are wrongfully viewed by everyone in the novel. I’ll talk about Boo Radley first. He is seen by children and adults alike as what I would describe as a wraith, a specter that is to be feared without understanding, without hesitation. He is a troubled man who was beaten by his father during his youth so many times that he went slightly insane and never left his house. He was not however, in any way ill meaning. This is shown by him leaving little gifts for Scout and Jem and him being upset when his father, ever cruel, filled the hole with cement. He was a kind person who cared for the kids by coming out during the fire to put a blanket over Scout’s shoulders. He also has a strong sense of morality and right from the part where Ewell tries to kill Scout and Jem. He steps out to defend the children who he feels are important. The second mockingbird is Tom. He is accused of rape and because he is black and the accuser, Ewell, is white it is immediately assumed that he is lying. He is almost the Mockingbird of Racism. He loses the case and then tries to flee jail and is killed immediately. Those are the mockingbirds of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  27. At the beginning of the book, I thought Scout was a boy. I thought Jem and Scout where just brothers. Thinking this, I just started think the two brothers where running around having a good time. then, when the first day of school rolled around i realized Scout was a girl. When she had a dress on I realized she was a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thought the same thing during the beginning parts of the book I knew Jem wsa a boy but that Scout was a boy also, because of how she acts but she is just a tomboy who hangs out with her brother and the other guys.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jem grew up throughout this book. He changed from being a boy to acting more and more like a man. There is struggles and challenges in the journey of life, that Jem had to overcome. Like when, Jem, Scout, and Dill, all snuck into Boo Radly's yard. When his pants got stuck, and he had to keep going. Once they were all safe, he went back to get his pants. He was brave.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think that Atticus is very brave for taking a case of a black man. Atticus is very smart for proving the evidence wrong of what the girl is saying. It's not fair that a black man is getting framed for abusing her and accused of raping her just because he's colored. I did not know that racism was such a big deal back in that time. The movie I watched really made me think way differently then I would ever image. This movie definitely got me interested

    ReplyDelete
  31. Boo was described as a very bad poor white person in the book. People would spread rumors about him which weren't true. Every kid was scared to go near his house. Boo saved Jem and Scout at the end of the book and that changed people's minds about him. Scout thought he was friendly and very nice. Scout became Boo's friend.

    ReplyDelete