Friday, April 8, 2011

Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

10 comments:

  1. So far this story is okay. I don't really know what to say about it because I'm kind of confused. Right now I'm at the part where she is driving late to school. Kate the main character seems pretty careless. She is like a mother figure and seems smart. I just read about her mom died. It seems like she doesn't care. Okay that's all i have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book reminds of Speak it has the same text, and seems to be a good story so far,but its also really confusing to me but that's just because its the beginning of the story. I also like that its an easy read, and the characters have easy names to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does Kate interact with people? Consider her friends Sara and Mitch. Also, consider her brother, Toby, her father, Teri from school and other characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found out that Kate didn't get into MIT. Now she isn't talking to her boyfriend Mitch. I think that her relationship with him is weird it says she used to hate him now they are dating. Sara is her bestfriend, you can tell because she came to Kate's house to make sure she was okay when she was ignoring Mitch. Kate takes care of Toby, they haven't really interacted yet. I think her realtionship with her dad is going to change because she has to tell him the truth that she only applyed to one college, and she didn't get in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story is confusing me. Kate seems to be up seat with her boyfriend but i think she wants to focus on her getting into college more than she wants to have a boyfriend. She is still her best friend because Sara is always there for her. Her and her father don't have the strongest relationship he is a preacher and she wants to tell him that she applied for college, and didn't get in but she dosnt because it might make him upset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what Kevin posted about her avoiding Mitch, because when she ran into him at the store she was in such a rush to get away. It seems like her dad cares more about Teri’s family then his own. How he is so focused on getting then a house rebuild and letting them stay with them. Kate and Teri seem to be becoming friends. Kevin her dad knows she didn’t get into MIT! But he doesn’t know that’s the only school she applied to. He thinks she applied to back up schools. And he isn’t really upset he doesn’t have the time to care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate definetly seems like an independent, capable person. She takes care of herself, her father and her brother--she does the laundry, the ironing and she makes sure Toby takes his medicine for instance.
    After the mother's death, what circumstances do you think made Kate take on this independence? Is that who Kate is as a person, is it the failings of the father, is it an issue with mourning the death of the mother?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just figured out that Teri is Mikey’s mom, and that Teri’s dad is the father of Mikey. Weird. I found this out after rereading it like three times, confusing… After Mikey’s funeral you learn a lot more about Kate. It seems like she still has yet to get over her mother’s death. When Toby asks Kate about his mother she tries to avoid the questioning, seeming like she can’t talk about it. Teri is crazy and I don’t get why she is destroying her house? The subject of college hasn’t came up since Mikey’s death.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same as Kara before she said that, I was confused and when she explained that I when back and read it and finally understod it. When Mikey died alot more about Kate came out, she aslo seems that she will always be upset with her moms death, because when Toby asked about it she seemed to hide away and change the subject. And aslo they have not talked about her college yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kevin, my name is Carrie NOT Kara. Thanks. But now that I'm done with the book and the packet I'm trying to pick a topic for the Annoted bibliography. I was thinking of going towards the topic of rape because of Teri being raped by her father. And how that destroyed Teri’s life. I was also thinking of going towards death of a young child. But I’m still not sure yet….

    ReplyDelete